[aprssig] Another Balloonist

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Mar 17 15:47:42 EDT 2014

On 3/17/2014 3:43 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:

> At 10:43 AM 2014-03-17, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>> Yes, he was lighting up quite a large geographical area:
>>
>> Red lines are the first or direct hop.  Green lines are digipeated
>> copies of the packets.   Rest assured that there are LOTS of green
>> lines completely covered by the red lines.  And yes, the red direct
>> links are really that long for a transmitter at altitude. The direct
>> RF footprint is big anywhere over 1,000 feet AGL. That's why no path
>> i necessary when flying at altitude.
>
> You had a very impressive graphic a while back that showed the red
> lines and the green lines quite distinctly.    In my opinion that was
> an awesome educational graphic to show balloonists why a path isn't
> needed at altitude.
>
> As you point out the green lines just aren't visible on the graphics
> in your email and the few PNG files I downloaded.

It all depends on how many direct receptions there are and how dense
they are.  In this case, with the 10 second beacon rate, there's way too
many direct lines for the greens to show up.  If the beacon rate had
been a more sedate 60 seconds, the red wouldn't be so dense and the
green might have been there.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization