[aprssig] A new player (APRS-IS is doing fine, no panic...)

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Mar 10 17:56:26 EDT 2014

On 11/03/14 03:29, Bill Vodall wrote:
>>   If you remember that APRS-IS interconnects amateur radio RF networks, then all discussions about "it isn't hurting APRS-IS" become mute because they are adversely affecting RF networks (yes, you -must- assume that any packets seen on APRS-IS are also being gated to RF somewhere in the world).
> How would things change if APRS-IS  accepted RF packets ONLY...  No
> direct uploads.   I believe APRS would be the better for it...   There
> are many issues but they can be solved to get near the same
> functionality we have today...
>
> Bill, WA7NWP

Bill,

If I understand you correctly I would need to run a mobile Igate so that
my VHF tracker (in the same car) can get to the aprs-is when I'm in
areas without VHF digi coverage.

My preference is for a radio based tracker and I run VHF radio for that
purpose. However, the Fairy Godmother hasn't yet provided VHF coverage
of significant sections of our major roads network, but our major telco
has. The car in which I travel is not mine so installing 30m is not
possible but running a smartphone with direct aprs-is access to
supplement VHF radio is possible.

Ray vk2tv