[aprssig] A new player

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:29:25 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:50 AM, Jim Duncan <jdbandman at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Clearly this is a situation which may need the "big hammer" approach. Ban
> all APRX stuff until the programmer responds with a fix and offending
> players have their problem fixed. Plain and simple, you made the contact and
> there was an attitude that it wasn't his problem then that's MORE than ample
> reason to shut down all APRX access. His users will take care of the rest
> when their data isn't going anywhere.

This recommendation is ridiculous. There's no need to block aprx or
punish Matti and his users. I run an APRS-IS server and this amount of
packets isn't even distinguishable on my bandwidth and CPU graphs.
Utilization is still under 1% of total capacity on my server. This is
nowhere near levels needed to clog the APRS-IS.

I also run an aprx igate. My system has always run stable and I have
not encountered this bug, but I follow the mailing list and keep my
software up to date anyway. Matti released the first fix for this bug
about 1.5 months ago. Now it's up to his users to update their
software. Blaming Matti at this point is useless and immature.

Tom KD7LXL