[aprssig] A new player

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Mon Mar 10 12:17:07 EDT 2014

Add forced upgrade for these types of problems.

If it has internet then the app can check a remote config to determine if
there is a new version available and force the user to upgrade it.

Greg

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:

> * Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> [2014-03-10 16:50]:
> > If you write a program you have a responsibility to assure the correct
> > operation of that software. When notified of a bug that is causing
> > problems to other users of a shared system like APRS-IS you need to
> > jump on it, get the fix done quickly, and reach out to users to get
> > them to update ASAP.
>
> The last time I had a comparable issue, APRSdroid was flooding the IS
> network with position packets under some obscure conditions. It was
> reported on this list in April 2012 as a flooding problem with my
> client, but the description was not sufficient for a proper cause
> analysis.
>
> It took over a year, until August 2013, for another person to give me
> the right hint, so I was able to triangulate the issue as an off-by-one
> problem when approaching the fast speed setting when using SmartBeaconing.
>
> Another two weeks later, I released APRSdroid 1.2.3, which fixed the
> issue, but still is not used by 5% of the user base.
>
> 73 de Georg DO1GL
> --
> APRSdroid - Open Source APRS Client for Android | http://aprsdroid.org/m
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.aprsdroid.app |
> @APRSdroid

NV6G
OpenAPRS.Net
OpenAPRS iPhone Edition
Find RC sites and weather in your area on iPhone/iPad with WhereBRC