[aprssig] A new player

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Mar 10 11:15:10 EDT 2014

Hi,

* Jim Duncan <jdbandman at earthlink.net> [2014-03-10 15:52]:
> Clearly this is a situation which may need the "big hammer" approach. Ban
> all APRX stuff until the programmer responds with a fix and offending
> players have their problem fixed. Plain and simple, you made the contact and
> there was an attitude that it wasn't his problem then that's MORE than ample
> reason to shut down all APRX access. His users will take care of the rest
> when their data isn't going anywhere.

This is unfortunately far easier to suggest than to implement in the
field. Matti has issued a fix a week ago in
http://repo.ham.fi/websvn/wsvn/aprx?rev=566 - now it is the time for the
users of the affected platform to get busy and update.

I have a similar situation with APRSdroid, with people still running a
buggy version of the app that dates back to 2010(!). I have even
contacted the people I could get the e-mail addresses of about upgrading
to the fixed version, with little success.

In February, there still were over 60 active users of the
three-years-old APRSdroid 0.x, with almost 5% of the active users
not running the latest version. Short of implementing a built-in
auto-update mechanism like done by Microsoft, Mozilla or Google, which
requires a dedicated corporate group to maintain and test new releases,
it is impossible to get all users to upgrade - and such a mechanism
would probably fail on the embedded devices aprx is aimed at.

Besides, if we ban all old and buggy software (and hardware!)
implementations from APRS, it will become a very calm place.

73 de Georg DO1GL
--
APRSdroid - Open Source APRS Client for Android | http://aprsdroid.org/m
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.aprsdroid.app | @APRSdroid