[aprssig] A new player

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Mar 10 10:47:45 EDT 2014

> Quite honestly, it seems like the APRS-IS core servers should detect this kind of thing and throttle propagation to protect themselves.

It is impossible to predict all the ways programmers could screw up. In the 17-odd years of the APRS-IS, no programmer has made a blunder that flooded the system the way this one does. The blame does not belong on the APRS-IS, it belongs with this programmer, and his attitude after being notified of the bug by myself 1.5 months ago. His attitude was essentially the same as this same comment. I disagree heartily. This is an aprx bug, and it is up to Matti to not just fix the bug, but to contact his users and let them know this is a critical update.

But if this continues to be a problem the only answer may be to blacklist aprx data. I'd hate to have it come to that, because the losers are the aprx users who are innocent in all this.

Steve K4HG