[aprssig] Are Positionless Weather Report packets supported by APRS-IS and/or aprs.fi?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Mar 4 16:00:27 EST 2014

On Mar 4, 2014, at 1:22 PM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
> Per info explained to me in a previous exchange on this mailing list, it appears that only APRS stations with a weather station symbol code "_" can include weather information in their position reports and expect to have other stations successfully decode it as weather data. Since my software (YAAC) allows a station to be a digipeater, an I-gate, AND be connected to weather sensors at the same time, it would be nice to be able to send that weather data. So I updated the software so that, if the user has weather data to send and wants to send it, but isn't beaconing a weather station symbol, a Positionless Weather Report message (APRS 1.0.1 spec, chapter 12) will be sent after the position report to carry the weather data.
>
> However, I'm not seeing the positionless weather report messages from my station on aprs.fi. Are they being filtered out by the APRS-IS servers, or by aprs.fi itself? Or is there some obscure transmission bug I still need to fix?

I greped the stream for ":_", the first one through was K4BHR-4. Packets from this station are on both findU and aprs.fi. You must be doing something wrong!

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=K4BHR-4
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=K4BHR-4

http://aprs.fi/weather/a/K4BHR-4
http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=K4BHR-4