[aprssig] Trying to Specify the CRC-16-CCITT FCS

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 20:39:37 EDT 2014

John,

Thanks. It looks like I'm doing one extra byte swap, which might
explain why most of our documentation says we send low byte first. Was
someone clever at some point and canceled out the final byte swap when
calculating the CRC via this inverted method and then converting to
network order? That would explain why we contradict V.42 and pretty
much every other network protocol ever!

Chuck,

I've got plenty of examples of long hand calculations of the CRC, but
want a concise presentation of what an implementor would need for my
thesis. I've managed to find plenty of conflicting examples that end
up with different byte orders, bit inversions, etc.

I'll remove line 16 and call mine good. Should probably collect some
unit tests and actually code it up, but it's a lot of work for a
single figure in my thesis... I'm not convinced either of our
algorithms properly handle empty frames, but then empty layer 1 frames
with a FCS would be kind of silly...

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/