[aprssig] APRS-IS vs. FireNet

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:01:13 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists
<hamlists at ametx.com> wrote:
> That is why conscientious authors limit your connection capabilities to a single server at a time.

That would be a pretty ridiculous limitation.

My standard home configuration (xastir) includes a connection to
APRS-IS and another filtered connection to firenet so I can get all
the NWS data.  I frequently use server ports to connect to other data
sources (non-APRS tracking systems, both ham and non-ham RF, etc) as
well.  One common thing that I may want to do is gate from some
"server" that's effectively a tracker (or even a small tracker
network) over to APRS-IS.

Limiting to a single connection sounds like a crutch for poorly
designed software than is not configurable enough for gating to work
correctly.

-Jason
kg4wsv