[aprssig] Kenwood D710 & Yaesu FTM-350AR Compatible Frrequency Objects

Ron Stordahl, AE5E ronn5in-aprssig at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 16:43:47 EDT 2014

Keith et al

Can I assume you have a FTM-400D and have confirmed that a frequency object such as:

;146.75XYZ*111111z4904.29N/09706.79Wr146.750MHz TOFF -060

actually works with the QSY feature of that radio?  If so I will feel confident to revise this old document:

http://www.dxspots.com/aprs/frequency_objects/d710a%20Compatible%20aprs%20frequency%20objects.htm

to add the FTM-350 & FTM-400.  The update increases the length of the object by 11 bytes.  Hopefully this will not significantly increase the packet error rate.  I do wish that the Yaesu radios did follow the spec for frequency objects, but they don't, requiring the frequency information to be duplicated in the tail section of the object.

Not that I expect too many to see this and correctly program their digi's!  If you surf around on aprs.fi you will see there is a scarcity such objects.  There are metropolitan areas without a single frequency object, or at least one in correct format.  Perhaps Bob's document APRS Local Info Initiative could be updated to make it a bit easier to understand.  That was what I was trying to do with my puny document effort, which I realize few will ever see!

Ron, AE5E

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:29 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh at rac.ca> wrote:

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

> It may be that the FTM-400 is actually ignoring the offset and
> applying it's internal automatic offset to the QSY frequency.
> Can you do a quick object test with a non-standard offset and
> see if the radio still insists on 600?

It appears that I goofed earlier. The FTM-400D will QSY to + or - offset
as specified in an APRS beacon or object, including non-standard
offsets. I had used e.g. C88 instead of C088 in an earlier test and that
made all of the difference. When I use Tnnn or Cnnn, I can specify
oddball offsets or directions. Sorry for the false alarm!

The FTM-400D is a nice radio, for voice and APRS. It also does digital
C4FM FDMA. The FT1DR is pretty nice too, but doesn't appear to have the
QSY feature.

--
73 Keith VE7GDH