[aprssig] APRS-IS vs. FireNet

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Wed Jun 25 08:04:33 EDT 2014

You are trying to use Firenet for an IGate and the Firenet servers specifically do not support IGates.  This is due to the intent of the Firenet vs. APRS-IS.  The APRS-IS primary purpose today is to interconnect amateur radio RF APRS networks.  This means it is expected that -any- and -all- packets seen in the APRS-IS network may end up on RF somewhere in the world.  Firenet, on the other hand, is an experimental subnet without that restriction and encourages experimentation with higher activity feeds than what APRS-IS is designed for.  Because of this, APRS-IS servers support "recently heard" lists to support IGates running on filtered feeds; Firenet servers do not support "recently heard" lists so people do not connect IGates to their servers, only GUI clients, database collectors, or other non-RF application.

APRS-IS=RF support; Firenet=Internet-only clients.  Firenet does fully support messaging to/from APRS-IS for the directly connected clients but not for clients beyond the directly connected client (gated by an IGate).

Hope this helps.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net