[aprssig] Xastir Map question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 3 17:29:57 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 03:05:40PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:

> Xastir definitely handles shapefiles.  It can be a little bit of a challenge
> to construct the file required to get it to render those shapefiles in a
> pretty way, but there is a powerful capability to do it (through its "dbfawk"
> system).  The system allows one to select shapes from the shapefile based on
> attributes, level of detail appropriate to the zoom  level, label the shapes
> using combinations of attributes, and so forth.

Since the Xastir wiki is down and the tutorial for how to create these dbfawk
files is there, here's a link to an older version that is available
elsewhere:

http://pages.swcp.com/~russo/shape_web/tutorial.html

As I wrote the tutorial and am nominally the maintainer of the dbfawk subsystem
(though its author!), feel free to contact me privately if you have issues.
No point carrying on this discussion on a forum as broad as this one.  Once
the xastir mailing list is back we can continue there.

I use shapefiles from local GIS departments in my own search and rescue work
with Xastir, and have to deal with this sort of thing often.