[aprssig] Mea Culpa, or Yesterday's Adventure in Ballooning

David Rush david at rushtone.com
Thu Jul 24 15:16:50 EDT 2014

Yesterday I was helping out a high school group with a balloon
release/chase/recovery over Georgia, which included flying an APRS
tracker I built with callsign KY7DR-3.

Due to as of yet unknown reasons it suffered a couple bouts of packet
diarrhea and was spewing packets nearly constantly for a while during
ascent and a while during descent.  At altitude it appeared to be
behaving (packet timing wise), but wasn't getting useful GPS data.  It
was configured to use a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 at low altitudes and no
path at all at high altitudes (>10k feet), but I'll still reviewing data
to determine if that worked as intended.

I'll report more if/when I learn anything useful about why things didn't
work as intended.  I have grabbed a bunch of raw packets via aprs.fi to
review, and I may get some live-off-the-air data from another ham in our
group.

Sorry for spamming the network in the US southeast.

It did work well enough on descent for us to recover the payload.

David, KY7DR