[aprssig] Paths - Solution proposal

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 16:07:12 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Only the sender of a packet knows its immediate value, and only the sender
>> knows where he wants it to go.
>
> When we send an IM on a smart phone, or an Email on the web like these
> APRSSIG postings - how do we set the path we want the data to take?

ARP, IP (DHCP and BGP make this automatic), DNS, application-layer
authentication and databases--all of these layers work together to
route your message for you. This is possible because over the last 30
years technology has advanced and commercial high speed data networks
have been built. Hams have simply been left in the dust, still using
technology from the 1980s. If you want to play with modern
applications on ham radio, you're going to have to go down a few
layers and improve the infrastructure first.

I think the point you're getting at is that AX.25 isn't an optimal
protocol choice for APRS. There are some other great tactical
information protocols out there--I am impressed by many of the
features of AIS.

Tom KD7LXL