[aprssig] Paths - Solution proposal

David Andrzejewski david at davidandrzejewski.com
Sun Jul 13 11:01:36 EDT 2014

I'm not sure how I feel about Mark's solution, but just for sake of
argument, perhaps there's a compromise.

Warning: This would make things confusing for users.

Let the users specify the path as they do today - this maintains
compatibility with everything that currently exists.  New or upgraded
digis could have this new logic in them, and if they do, they can ignore
the path and try to determine what's best for the network at that
moment.  This would be a good transitional phase.

An analogue to this is multi-input voice repeater systems.  You've got
some out there that allow the user to manually select which input they
use, usually via PL tone.  Others use a voting comparator, and they
determine which input gets used automatically - the onus is not on the
end user to make decisions, the repeater "just works."

- Dave