[aprssig] Here we go again...sigh

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 22:24:09 EDT 2014

Well, I tried, though reading it now, so long after writing it, I'm not sure I have it quite right.  I am open to recommendations for changing my document.  See Page 4:
  http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/APRS%20Beginner%20Guide%20-%20K9DCI%20Ver%205-1.pdf

Located here:
  http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/~k9dci/site/?/page/APRS_Beginner_INFO/

Comcast appears to be getting ready to killing its personal web pages without telling anyone, so I don't know how long this will be a valid URL.

73, Steve, K9DCI [at arrl dot net]

 From: Kenneth Finnegan <kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Jeff Dugas (Mobile)
<N5TEV at compuserve.com> wrote:
> NOTHING at 38,000+ feet should have any path. This is pure abuse.

Fine. So how are users supposed to know this? Where in the APRS spec
does it say anything more specific than "use your best judgement"?

We've been finding examples of people making bad path choices and
bemoaning them on this mailing list for a decade, but how were they
supposed to know? If we don't give any specific guidance to users, how
can we expect them to always make their own choices that agree with
our judgement?
--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/