[aprssig] DTMF on HF?

david vanhorn kc6ete at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 19:38:20 EST 2014

Now from a real keyboard..

The conventional method for DTMF is 100mS per digit, 50 of tone and 50 of
silence.
1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1  with the dashes being silence (not very critical about
noise during that interval)
The fast way is to reduce or eliminate the space between different digits:
1.2.3.4-4.3.2.1 with the dash being 50ms and the dots being 0-10mS

How far you can shrink that timing depends on the decoder involved, I have
seen 0 work perfectly.

In my experience, the biggest hindrance to proper DTMF decoding is bad
twist values.

This link has some good information on rates and twist.
http://www.genave.com/dtmf.htm