[aprssig] "no sym yet" icon + compressed packets?

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Sat Feb 15 17:14:17 EST 2014

Hi Lynn--

Thanks again for APRSISCE.  I've recently downloaded the APRS spec. PDF,
but haven't had a chance to read it carefully.

(By means of disclosure: I work LAMP-stack programming, typically layers
5-7 in the standard OSI model.  We don't usually do field-specific
encoding -- i.e. where an encoding method is coupled to a particular
field.  In RDBMS' we build normalized tables of reserved
vocabulary/relationships, linked by keys.  Or compress data with a
uniform mathematical compression method.  TCP/IP does a good job of
separating transmission details out of that world.  I don't know the
history of AX.25. but understand it's considered a lower-level data link
layer.  Perhaps it would be simpler if its functions had originally been
split into 2-3 layers...)

Anyway...  I see on p. 53 the example decoding "j/" = Jeep does suggest,
albeit indirectly, a reverse order.  (Took me awhile to find an example).

Maybe this points toward flaky iGate software.  I once downloaded UISS
and played with a bit, but my copy seemed to have some malware in it, or
perhaps it was another package I was also using at the time, so I
abandoned it.

Perhaps it is the non-printables.  I can't be guaranteed I'm actually
seeing the "raw message" on these web sites.  In my LAMP work, we
usually store data back-end in unicode, and strip out problematic
characters when handling HTML for human-viewing through a browser -- or
encode for XML delivery.  For binary/BLOB data, we'd probably offer a
download option.

Might be handy if some of these APRS web sites offered a "really raw"
version of the messages, encoding non-printable characters for debugging
purposes.

Regards,
Paul / KD0KZE