[aprssig] "no sym yet" icon + compressed packets?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Feb 15 11:30:48 EST 2014

There are several different things causing parts of this problem. As others describe, packets get mangled by this Igate that does not correctly handle non-printing characters. That's been a recurring problem since the very first IGate program. Then aprs.fi doesn't give the best error message in response to the IGate-mangled Mic-E packet (but I'd defend Hessu on the garbage-in-garbage-out principle. It is hard enough to correctly parse every possible legal packet in the crazy APRS spec. It is simply impossible to correctly handle every ILLEGAL possibility too!)

findU shares some of the blame based on its symbol sets. If you go to ariss.net right now and look at the station list KD0KZE shows as No Sym Yet, but if you zoom into the map at Minnesota you see the location displayed with a dot. findU has two different symbol sets created by two different people, and clearly need to be better synchronized. I've known this for a while, but it is like the bug I have with base91 weather. Every time I start to work on it I get a gigantic headache, so I have a beer. Then I stop caring about symbols and base-91 ;-)

Steve K4HG