[aprssig] weather station mess

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Feb 9 21:47:26 EST 2014

On Feb 9, 2014, at 9:19 PM, MJ Inabnit <ke6sls at arrl.net> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm going to take down my station tonight since there is some kind of automated weather beacon firing packet after packet on 144.390.

It is not a weather beacon, it is telemetry. There is an obvious malfunction, the telemetry frame number is always zero, so it looks like the controller is constantly resetting, leading to the high transmission rate.

This looks like a mountaintop station, if there is a malfunction it might be one of those really annoying things that can't be fixed until the spring thaw! At five to seven packets a minute, it could be a long winter for APRS in NoCal!

Steve K4HG