[aprssig] [APRS] RE: URGENT HELP NEEDED IN EASTERN VIRGINIA

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Sat Feb 1 22:04:23 EST 2014

All,

Many of you who know me, know that I live right here on the Virginia Eastern Shore, less than thirty minutes from where the balloon went down.  I waited to respond to any of the many threads regarding this event because:  1.  I didn't know if there was any other rescue effort already in effect and 2. we have an extremely small amateur radio population here on the shore and of the population licensed the active amateurs is even smaller.  I have put out an APB of sorts on several channels of communications to see if I can drum up a boat or two to see if we can launch an effort to recover the payload.  I'm not making any promises, but with the very larger boater/waterman community that we have here on the shore, I'm hoping someone might step up.

I have my hopes that since the payload appears to still be floating AND operating we can keep tabs on it's location and that will be the key to lead us right to it's location.  Looks like it's currently only about 4-5 nautical miles off of Swash Bay, so there is a chance that we can reach it without too much effort.

More details as I can get them.

Jason Rausch - Amateur Radio Callsign: KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com