[aprssig] TA1AJJ-9 Excessive Packets

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue Dec 23 12:07:05 EST 2014

I have been unable to find a contact method for TA1AJJ so I am hoping he is monitoring this SIG (or someone who has a way of contact him).

Currently, TA1AJJ-9 is injecting approximately 2000 unique packets per hour into APRS-IS (1 packet per 2 seconds is getting through).  They are primarily position packets with minor variances causing them to escape duplicate detection/elimination.  The next highest station BG8EJT-1 at 400 packets (testing Android software) and 9W2ALS-13 (running aprsx) streaming 360 telemetry packets.

While this is not severely impacting individual servers, it certainly could render many clients inoperative and would render a VHF frequency unusable if gated to RF.

I don't like to be a "frequency cop" (how many years since I have posted about this issue?) but this is extremely excessive for a network intended to support RF operations.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net