[aprssig] Draft Copy of Thesis on APRS

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 19:38:07 EST 2014

Viscous delay digipeating is a very different concept than the APRS dedup
behavior. If you set the dedup timer to be 4-6 seconds, and there happens
to be any viscous digis on the network, it would disastrously double the
network load.

Viscous delay is relatively controversial. I haven't been able to even
convince myself that it is definitely a good thing.

I don't follow the argument for why you would want to allow identical
packets through the network more often than every 30 seconds. What's the
advantage of allowing repeated packets every 6 seconds on RF?

Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF