[aprssig] difference between Objects and Items?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 10 18:16:01 EST 2014

ITEMS are shorter.  An brevity in APRS is always desired.

But there is a bug in tens of thousands of D700 radios that has a problem
with ITEMS.

I cannot remember for sure. (don’t have time to research it right now)…
But the bug MAY only be a problem if the ITEM uses compressed format.

So on sending, use an ITEM unless:

1)       the sender wants to time-stamp the object (always a good idea for
things that are not permanent and will eventually be of no value)

2)      The sender wants permanence 111111z

3)      The sender wants compressed.

I think I got that right?

Bob