[aprssig] New icon images

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Aug 28 09:07:38 EDT 2014

On Aug 28, 2014, at 5:57 AM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Uh, isn't that why Kenwood makes firmware upgrades available on their website?

The original Kenwoods have to be opened and programming cable soldered onto the circuit board to update the firmware. The circuit board was a design that Kenwood had developed but never released for the Japanese market. It was obsolete even before it was released in the late 90s! After its release there were so many bugs Kenwood had to issue one, but it was a headache, you either had to send it to them or go to one of the few hamfests to which they sent techs, in which case they could flash it while you waited. I'm sure they are not going to do that again!

> In any case, what is the mechanism for proposing symbol code assignments for these meanings, and which meanings are important enough to get added?

The APRS Working Group, which these days is down to Bob. I suspect he does not want to open the floodgates as there have been many, many proposals over the years of individuals that wanted a symbol, and of course there are only a few unassigned. Unless it is something with widespread ham appeal I suspect he isn't going to act.

I think a backward compatible extended symbol space is your best bet, then everyone can add all the symbols they want.

Steve K4HG