[aprssig] New icon images

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 20:44:24 EDT 2014

Per my comment about possible new symbols to introduce, I went through the symbol codes defined by OpenTRAC, and found all the symbol meanings that didn't correspond to existing APRS symbol codes. These are what's left of the OpenTRAC codes after eliminating ones that correspond to existing APRS symbols (there were 120 of them). The SAR block seems the highest priority, but there still are lots of other codes that seem like it would be useful to be able to define them, at least as Objects/Items (many of them don't generally correspond to stations).

1.2.3     Unmanned Space Debris
2.2.1.1     Experimental Fixed Wing Air
2.2.1.4     Turboprop Airplane
3.1.2     Government Facility
3.1.3     Medical Facility
3.1.3.2     Clinic
3.1.3.3     Triage Facility
3.1.3.6     Morgue
3.1.4     Emergency Services
3.1.4.2     Decontamination
3.1.5.1     Power
3.1.7.2     Apartment
3.1.7.3     Condo
3.1.13.1     Park
3.1.14.1.1     Airport
3.1.14.1.2     Ultralight Flight Area
3.1.14.1.4     Helipad
3.1.14.2     Ground Transport
3.1.14.2.1     Train Station
3.1.14.2.2     Bus Station
3.1.14.2.3     Light Rail
3.1.14.3     Sea Transport
3.1.14.3.1     Port
3.1.14.3.2     Ferry Landing
3.2.1     Vehicle
3.2.1.1     Passenger Vehicle
3.2.1.2     Commercial Vehicle
3.2.1.3     Rail Vehicle
3.2.1.4     Snow Vehicle
3.2.1.4.2     Snow Plow
3.2.1.5     Construction Vehicle
3.2.1.5.1     Bulldozer
3.2.1.5.2     Backhoe
3.2.1.5.3     Loader
3.2.1.6     Public Safety Vehicle
3.2.2     Emergency Equipment
3.2.2.1     Generator
3.2.2.1.1     Portable Generator
3.2.2.1.2     Towed Generator
3.2.2.1.3     Fixed Generator
4.1.3     Support Vessel
4.1.3.1     Tugboat
4.1.3.1.1     Harbor Tug
4.1.3.1.2     Ocean Tug
4.1.3.2     Pilot Boat
4.1.5.5     PWC
4.1.5.6     Skiff
4.1.5.8     DaySail
4.1.5.10     Tall Ship
4.2.1     Floating Structure
4.2.1.1     Oil Rig
4.2.1.2     Dry Dock
4.2.1.3     Bridge
4.2.2     Fixed Structure
4.2.2.1     Oil Rig
4.2.2.2     Dry Dock
4.2.2.3     Anchor Area
4.2.2.4     Mooring
4.2.2.5     Mooring Area
4.2.2.6     Bridge
4.2.2.6.1     Fixed Bridge
4.2.2.6.2     Lift/Swing Bridge
5.1.1     Subsurface Vehicle
5.1.1.1     ROV
5.1.1.2     Submersible
5.2.1     Dive Site
5.2.2     Channel
6.1.1     Ham Radio Contest
6.1.1.1     Field Day
6.1.2     Swap Meet
6.1.3     Convention
6.2.1     Geocache
6.3.1     Parade
6.3.1.1     Parade Staging Area
6.3.1.2     Parade Review Stand
6.5.1     SAR Victim
6.5.2     SAR Tracks
6.5.3     SAR Sign
6.5.4     SAR Evidence
6.5.6     Shipwreck
6.5.7     SAR Man Overboard
6.5.8     ELT/EPIRB Hit
6.6.4     Landslide/Mudslide
6.6.5     Avalanche
6.6.6     Volcanic Eruption
7.1.1.1     Low Pressure Center
7.1.1.2     High Pressure Center
7.1.1.3.1     Cold Front
7.1.1.3.1.1     Upper Cold Front
7.1.1.3.2     Warm Front
7.1.1.3.2.1     Upper Warm Front
7.1.1.3.3     Occluded Front
7.1.1.3.4     Stationary Front
7.1.1.4.1     Trough Line
7.1.1.4.2     Ridge Line
7.1.1.4.3     Squall Line
7.1.2.1     Light Turbulence
7.1.2.2     Medium Turbulence
7.1.2.3     Severe Turbulence
7.1.2.4     Extreme Turbulence
7.1.3.1     Clear Icing
7.1.3.1.1     Light Clear Icing
7.1.3.1.2     Moderate Clear Icing
7.1.3.1.3     Severe Clear Icing
7.1.3.2     Rime Icing
7.1.3.2.1     Light Rime Icing
7.1.3.2.2     Moderate Rime Icing
7.1.3.2.3     Severe Rime Icing
7.1.3.3     Mixed Icing
7.1.3.3.1     Light Mixed Icing
7.1.3.3.2     Moderate Mixed Icing
7.1.3.3.3     Severe Mixed Icing
7.1.4     Wind Barb
7.1.4.1     Jet Stream
7.1.5.1     Instrument Ceiling
7.1.5.2     Visual Ceiling
7.1.7.4     Ice Pellets
7.1.7.5     Ice Crystals
7.1.9.3     Dust/Sand Storm
7.1.9.4     Dust Devil

It was a very subjective process (for example, there are over a dozen airplane codes in OpenTrac which I mapped into either the APRS small airplane icon or the large airplane icon).

So, are any of these worth adding in some of the "holes" in the APRS symbol tables?

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO