[aprssig] [APRS] QRP Mobile APRS in the National Parks!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Aug 17 11:12:55 EDT 2014

> I only counted two or three vehicles in the area [in a week]... I just
leave... it off.
> I consider a digipeater the same as any other repeater.... it needs to
be monitored.
> Let me know if you come up here ... and I'll turn my digipeater on for
you ;)

I'm not so sure that the monitoring requirement for digital is that
stringent.  If monitoring is the only concern, then please consider at
least turning OFF the digi function but leaving the TNC and RADIO on the
air to at least provide the #2 function of all APRS digipeaters, and that
is to provide local INFO to the traveler in an area.

The page: http://aprs.org/aprs-parks.html explains how valuable Ham Radio
beacons are for travelers and for getting Hams connected...

The secondary function of all digi's is to aid travelers not only with
digiepating, but also with local info ( http://aprs.org/localinfo.html ).
Since 2004, this LOCALINFO requirement has been part of standard DIGI
recommendations.  Here is how it works in a KPC3 for example that has 5
beacons...

BEACON 1: Shows the digi charasteristics (in this case "Call XYZ on
146.xxx for activation)
BEACON 2: The local voice FREQ1, TONE, OFFSET, WEEKLY NET TIME, MONTHLY
MTG DATES
BEACON 3: The local voice FREQ2, TONE, OFFSET, other useful info
BEACON 4: The local IRLP, ECHOlink, or ALLstar node FREQ3, TONE, OFFSET
etc
BEACON 5: Announcemnt about the next big Ham Radio Event

All of these local-info beacons are transmitted locally- DIRECT with no
hops so that they do not add any QRM to the network, yet inform all users
in the area of this digi.

Hams visiting the park, would then have all the info they need to be
"in-tune" with the surrounding radio amateurs and would be informed on how
to get the digipeater activated if they wanted to ask.

Even without the digi function, imagine how valuable this kind of info is
to the visitor to the National Park... Right there on the front panel of
his APRS radio,  Everything he needs.  In this case, this is probably the
MORE valuable function of that digi, than the usual digi-function.

Just a thought.
Bob, Wb4APR