[aprssig] [APRS] Announcement of WA1PLE-15 digipeater in SW Boston Area (NOT)

Tony VE6MVP tony at ve6mvp.com
Tue Sep 24 17:03:17 EDT 2013

At 02:34 PM 2013-09-24, Robert Bruninga wrote:

 >Who decides?  ANSWER:  The SYSOP of the digi (or anyone else he will
 >listen to).  He is doing the work, so he gets to decide.   He simply
 >answers the question, what 1 or 2  voice repeaters in my digi's area give
 >the mobile travler the best chance of finding a HUMAN to talk to.
 >
 >It is better for the mobile to know the one best*likely, then to have a
 >list off 20 or 30 from the Repeater Directory and have to guess thorugh
 >each one...

Totally agree with that.  When I was travelling in unfamiliar areas
with a list of repeaters on paper I figured out that I should look
for the repeater which belonged to the club with a geographical
name.   That was generally the oldest club in the area with the
largest membership and the most active repeater.  The other
repeaters/clubs were generally, but not always, splinter groups where
some amateur wanted to do something unreasonable, got shot down by
the membership and left in a huff.  <smile>

So having the local repeater object in such a fashion saves the
traveller a lot of aggravation.

Tony