[aprssig] New-N paradigm and LOCALINFO Freq Objects

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Sep 24 16:11:14 EDT 2013

> ... [maybe]a directed path rather than WIDE2-1.
> For example, you might advertise 146.94-RI
> with a path of VERMLN to specifically target users
> north of the repeater...

Seems like a good idea on the surface... BUT... While this may satisfy the
need to inform users in the VERMLN area, it violates three principles of
the LOCALINFO paradigm.

1) It uses a hop, meaning it will blindly collide with  users in the
VERMLN area because the digi (nor VERMLN) that is sourcing this packet
into the network CANNOT HEAR ALL THE USERS of VERMLN.  Hence the network
suffers reliability.  Hence the rule, only source these at the digi
direct.

2) There may be areas of VERMLN that cannot work the recommended repeater.
Hence unwelcome SPAM. .  Hence the rule, only source these at the digi
direct.

3) If the repeater *CAN* be worked in all areas of VERMLN, then in any
case, the OBJECT for that repeater should be SOURCED at VERMLN to avoid
the number 1 and #2  problem above.  .  Hence the rule, only source these
at the local digi direct.

Again, there is ZERO need for sending any of these objects beyond DIRECT
and SOURCED at the local digi for its service area.  The only reason we
find that they are not is because digi owners are not getting around to
putting them in every digi where they belong and so people try to work
around the absentee landlord digi owners at the expense of more SPAM and
collisions on the network.

Please le's get all digi owners to catch up to the New-N Paradigm of 2004
and get these LOCALINFO packets into their digipeaters.

As usual, a digi owner can do whatever he wants, but in most cases, we
find that the full impact of many things they may do has not been
thoroughly veted and thought out from an overall network perspective.
That is the main reason that after a full decade of wilily-nilly APRS
expsansion and hodge-podge local sysop configuration, we tried back in
2004 to clean up the entire APRS  network by coming up with the best
single recommendations that would work well everywhere.  We hammered it
out here on the APRSSIG and we came up with  the New-N paradigm of 2004.
(now almost a decade ago!)

Still more than half if not MOST digipeaters in some areas are not
configured to this New-N paradigm.   Frustrating.

See http://aprs.org/fix14439.html

Bob, WB4APR