[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 111, Issue 3

Tony VE6MVP tony at ve6mvp.com
Tue Sep 3 14:45:03 EDT 2013

At 11:21 AM 2013-09-03, Jason Low wrote:
> > We had someone do an APRS beacon 300 kms away from his QTH a while
> > back.   He was a few hundred metres out which is why he was
> > noticed.
>
>I think I know who you're talking about. Thanks to him, I know when
>every flea market/garage sale and coffee meet is taking place and
>where all the ham stores in his area are, and I'm 2-3 hops away from him.

Yes, you do know who I mean.  As well as the Flying J truck stop last
time I looked.   I would've though you're two hops most of the time
from him.    So for his objects I'd set the hops at WIDE2-1.

FWIW I happened to be in Three Hills, a small town an hours drive out
of Calgary on family business,.   I was driving about and looked at
my Nuvi 360 screen.  I saw a lot of APRS activity in the very near
vicinity and tracked them down.  Turns out they had just finished
recovering a balloon and were having coffee.   So I went and joined
him and the rest of the gang.  Had a great time chatting and
learning.   And that's one very nice thing about APRS.

Tony