[aprssig] Anyone Using SkyCommand with their TS-480? Or?

WD8ARZ wd8arz at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 29 08:59:38 EDT 2013

Hello Matt nice to hear about your SkyCommand operation. The HT
interface must be interesting. Is it a home brew cable system?

The HT serial port to the hf rig needs to have the same com port baud
rate settings. Verify that and try using no PL's and see what that does.

Next challenge for me is to support APRS while doing SkyCommand in the
mobile. Looks like that will take a separate radio for that. If nothing
else, that puts your second D72 to work ... hi hi

Interesting to note the number of rigs that support Kenwoods wonderful
SkyCommand.

* HF Rigs: TS2000 series, TS-480 series, The TS570S, TS-870S and the
TS-590S.

* Dual Banders: TMD700A, TMD710A, and RC-D710 Control Head, TM-V71A/E
with 2.10 Firmware.

* HT's: TH-79A KSS, THD7A and THD72A.

Another challenge of using a mode such as Kenwoods SkyCommand in a
mobile with a screwdriver auto tuner is there is only one db9 serial
connector on the radio. Most auto tuners need a serial cable on the hf
radio. The SkyCommand mode wants a serial cable on the hf radio.

The trick is to either use a long whip on the mobile with a none serial
cable tuner with memory features .... or now we have an option to
continue using the screwdriver antenna: West Mountain Radio's TARGETuner at
http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=targetuner&navcode=/fpTARGETuner1

This auto tuner does not use a serial cable, but true swr input / output
so239 antenna connectors.
Have not ordered one, as I have it on a Christmas Wish List ... hi hi

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ