[aprssig] APRS device identifiers (tocalls) in YAML, XML and JSON

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Oct 24 11:50:43 EDT 2013

Knowing what software/firmware/hardware a remote station is using can
allow an APRS client software packet or APRS user to exploit features
specific to the other end's platform.

If I'm considering plopping down a chunk of change for a D710, I can
identify D710 users to contact to get their opinion of their radio.

For instance, if I see a Yaesu APRS radio (FTM-350 or VX-8 and suspected
FTM-400), and I'm running a non-AX.25 -SSID, I know that I shouldn't
attempt an APRS messaging QSO because they don't support it.

If I see APRSISCE/32 at the other end, I know I can send an
Item-As-Message packet to them to communicate a location, regardless of
whether it's RF, -IS, or any combination between me and them.

If I see a station that's beaconing fast and furious and know that it's
APRSdroid, I can suggest that they upgrade to the latest version that
fixes a old bug in the SmartBeaconing code that can cause that problem.

I could go on and on with manufactured examples, but the bottom line is
that if information is available, a use will be found.  If information
is hidden, then no one will ever be able to use it for anything.