[aprssig] APRS device identifiers (tocalls) in YAML, XML and JSON

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Oct 23 17:48:16 EDT 2013

Great first cut Hessu!  Thanks for the effort, and especially for the
various supported formats.

I just can't believe I never noticed that everything ending in D and U
are allocated, even in the original tocalls.txt:

>        APnnnD  Painter Engineering uSmartDigi D-Gate DSTAR Gateway
>        APnnnU  Painter Engineering uSmartDigi Digipeater

which becomes:

> - tocall: AP???D
> vendor: Painter Engineering
> model: uSmartDigi D-Gate
> class: dstar
> - tocall: AP???U
> vendor: Painter Engineering
> model: uSmartDigi Digipeater
> class: digi

I'll have to see if I can remember that as I increment my version
numbers, just to avoid any ambiguities.

Is aprsd truly only allocated numeric versions?  Or am I mis-reading the
nnn vs ??? in the tocall: elements?

> - tocall: APDnnn
> vendor: Open Source
> model: aprsd
> class: software
> os: Linux/Unix

Looking further down the list, how is a * different than a ? or n,
specifically:

> - tocall: APTT*
> vendor: Byonics
> model: TinyTrak
> class: tracker
and
> - tocall: APU2*
> vendor: Roger Barker, G4IDE
> model: UI-View32
> class: software
> os: Windows

What are your intended implications and uses of the classes?
Particularly "app" vs "software"?  There's a lot of folks out there that
take APRSIS32 on Windows mobile and/or run it on XP tablets.  So which
is it?  Also is there any expectations that "tracker" are deaf?  Or is
it acceptable that they might do messaging?

I may have more questions and I pull this into use in APRSISMO (name to
be changed) and then later into APRSISCE/32.  I'll likely be using the
XML versions myself, since I already have parsers that load those neatly
for me.