[aprssig] Public Icon Set (overlay location)

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Tue Oct 8 10:30:27 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 08:23:35AM -0400, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> One thing to consider is Overlay characters.
> In any new system I suggest 2 bits be allocated to indicate where the
> overlay character is drawn.  Upper left, Upper right, center, or none.

Are these two bits visible over air, and need support at all applications?

Or are these bits about some implementation detail at a device which has
limited memory capacity because such chip is 5 cents cheapter than sister
model with larger memory?   (Which at iPhone or Android or Windows Phone
is pure nonsense. Expanding 5 MB application by 1 kilobyte is invisible.)

> Bob, WB4APR

73 de Matti, OH2MQK