[aprssig] Msg reply path

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Oct 6 18:38:50 EDT 2013

It is interesting to note.

In Maryland a MD3-3 from the center would get to every digi in the
state.  But it would take a good MD5-5 to go from one end to the
other.  But neither of these has any different result than a MD7-7.
All three of these paths accomplish the same thing:  Hit every
Maryland Digi.  And none of them reduce any QRM compared to the MD7-7.

So for participating in net traffic trying to hit everyone in the ARRL
section I hve no qualms at all about using MD7-7 even though MD3-3
might work from my location.  The 7-7 buys just a little bit more
assurence that one digi tht heard collisions at the 3-1 level might
get a second chance by the time it gets to 7-3 or lower.

Again, no additional QRM at all.  Every digi will only do it once and
once only.  SO no difference between 7-7 or 3-3.

But a HUGE difference from WIDE7-7 which would QRM over 13 states with
over 300 generated dupes in unwanted areas.  Whereas a MD7-7 hits only
the 9 digipeaters in the state, and no dupes.

Bob, Wb4APR