[aprssig] Msg reply path

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Oct 4 10:00:10 EDT 2013

On 10/4/2013 9:36 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Some of us (ok, most of us) are still catching up with Roger's brilliance.
> We'll get there eventually, and with any luck, finally start advancing the
> state of the APRS art.

> On 10/4/2013 9:31 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>> On 10/4/2013 6:23 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>>> Now, if you were to ask software authors to make the received path of message
>>> packets visible to the user and provide a QSO-specific manually-entered
>>> outbound message path override (which of course, defaults to the station's
>>> normal beacon path), that might be a step in the right direction.
>>

>> Which is exactly what UIview has always done......

He also provided for   reverse-the-path-on-reply  as a check-box option,
defaulted it to off (not enabled), and then warned about the potential problems
in almost exactly in the same words you just put forth.

However, he did blow his messaging implementation in one key way -- he failed
to implement the decaying-retry-rate on unacked messages.   UIview just blindly
re-sends an unacked message a fixed number of times at constant time intervals
(default is 5 tries 40 secs apart) and then gives up.