[aprssig] Roll call for APRS software authors

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Fri Oct 4 07:50:47 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 07:08:07AM -0400, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Ok, I think I have all of the recent updates applied to the page at:
>
> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/clients

Lynn,  the description of the list was originally very clearly
(in my understanding) about gadgets and software with graphical face.
But now it seems to include also some servers and tool libraries.

A few softwares that I know about:

  http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/

  http://www.aprs4r.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/WikiStart

  http://he.fi/aprsc/

Would you want to include there igate and aprs-is servers too?
A few of those already listed are gui + igate, after all, but real
serious always running igate is not the same as your game and other
random uses desktop PC.

Indeed you are better off with purpose dedicated flash "disk" based
(instead of mechanical hard drive) solution eating up as little
power as possible.

Of course there is no single de-facto network API in existence that
would allow GUI softwares to talk to external radio interface server.
All existing ones are propretary, and their authors seem to be very
protective about them taking serious dislike at other people implementing
_servers_ code behaving in similar way.
(Some Linux AX.25 Peer-to-Peer tunneling protocols come perhaps close.)

73 de Matti, OH2MQK