[aprssig] Dire Wolf & Tracker 3?

Bruce W. Martin aprs at almostanywhere.com
Sat Nov 23 10:11:19 EST 2013

David,

	I have been using xastir for years. While the developers have tried to make it reasonable for the non-developer to get xastir running on a particular distribution of linux most of them only work with one or two amongst the nearly 100 distributions. There are 8 main variants of Ubuntu and over 60 other forks based on ubuntu. While architecture support has calmed down, with the advent and popularity of Raspberry Pi it has complicated this process. With all of these distributions someone has to deal with the packaging of an application hopefully across all distributions and keep up with every update of the main application and dependancies. To me it is a wonder that anything gets done in the mostly volunteer world of Free Open Source Software.

	That being said the only way to keep xastir up to date on your select distribution is to unload the xastir package and load all of the dependancies for xastir and then compile xastir. Once that is done there is a script in xastir that will do the minor revision updates. Run that script manually or incorporate that script in another and set that as a routine cron job. Compiling xastir from cvs (or what ever version control is currently used) is actually fairly easy. Getting all of the right dependancies installed or compiled is the hard part. I will be the first to admit that this can get very frustrating but when you get it done it is quite satisfying. I will admit it has been several years since I installed and compiled xastir. I have generally been satisfied with what has been packaged together for the distribution I use and know if I want it to be current then I know what I will have to get into. I can't imagine the patience needed to package any program for any particular distribution.

	The xastir list is a great place if you have a specific question about a specific issue but no forum is likely to be very good about answering an open ended question like "How do I get a newer version of xastir packaged for my favorite distribution?"

	I seem to recall your question about xastir but don't remember what list it was on. A quick look at the xastir list saw several posts by you over the last year but I did not see your 2.0.0 question.

	If there is a package for a particular distribution then there is probably some documentation on how to compile xastir for a particular distribution.

I hope this helps,

Bruce, KQ4TV

--
Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV