[aprssig] "station which heard ... directly on the radio"

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 20 19:03:27 EDT 2013

On 5/20/2013 6:15 PM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:
> Hi Lynn,
>

> Well, althou these application where not written by me, I did take the time to
> have a look at the source-code  of multimonNG. It seams there is no code to add
> a '*' of the C-bit is set in the SSID part of an address.
>
> However, it's not realy clear how exactly this should be corrected.
>
> I noticed that when you just set the asterisk everywhere where that bit is set,
> you get paths like this:
> ... to U0QRQ5-0 via ON0WTO-2*,WIDE1-0*,ON0OST-0*
> (just copied this off the air 5 minutes ago).

That's what is supposed to show.  Each "used up" hop should have an asterisk
showing.

> Is this correct? When I look in the archive of "raw" messages on aprs.fi, I do
> not see such an paths overthere! The asterisk in only on the last message or
> the one before that?
>

> On what addresses in the path does there need to be a asterisk?

Al the hops that are "used up".

> All addresses with the C-bit set? Only the last? Only the last, or the one
> before that if the last address in the path is a "WIDE"?

WIDEn-N is handled differently.  The SSID starts out as something like WIDE2-2.
  Each station that digis the packet reduces this by one, but does NOT mark the
hop as used, until the SSID decrements to 0 (zero).

i.e.

WIDE2-2    (as sent by originating station
WIDE2-1    (as send by first digi)
WIDE2-0*   (as sent by second digi)

depending on the firmware & software involved, the second hop may be displayed as
WIDE2*  instead   (an SSID of -0 is the same as no SSID at all)

Optionally,(but desired) stations can ADD their own actual calls into the path,
marked as used, as they digi the packet so that you get something like

WIDE2-2                          (as sent by originating station)
DIGICALL1*,WIDE2-1               (as sent by first digi)
DIGICALL1*,DIGICALL2*,WIDE2-0*   (as sent by second digi)

> But what if that WIDE-address at the end of the path does not have a '*' itself?

Then that hop wasn't used - the packet got igated before the last possible hop
on RF.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths