[aprssig] UTM grid (was: APRStt for SAR using...)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu May 16 12:49:55 EDT 2013

On Thu, 16 May 2013, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> On 5/16/2013 7:45 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> Now all I gotta do is refresh myself on the UTM grid to LATLONG conversion.
>
> Copy me on what you learn because the last time I looked there isn't jsut one
> UTM grid, but several localized versions that use different reference points
> and conversion equations.

I know of two major ones:  Standard UTM and NATO UTM.  NATO UTM differs in some of the 6-degree areas in Europe and north of there.  They changed some of the widths here and there to fit political boundaries.  Other than that it is identical to the standard UTM grid.

USNG is not defined over the whole world, so the choice of UTM grid in this case doesn't matter:  It is the same over the area of interest.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
Closed-minded about open (-source)...