[aprssig] Advice requested please

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu May 9 07:38:05 EDT 2013

My opinion is that there's enough packet corruption caused by
mis-configurations and I wouldn't release something that makes it even
more prevalent, especially in the callsign portion of the packet because
we'll end up with "ghost" stations popping up.

If you keep banging on the issue, I'm sure you can bring it to some sort
of resolution.  If you even just use KISS, you'd get the nice <C0>
wrapping characters that assist, but don't guarantee, that everything in
between came through.  At least then, a dropped leading <C0> will end up
causing the entire packet to be dropped.  And KISS is self-synchronizing
because adjacent <C0> characters are just ignored.

There's other means of wrapping the packets that are more robust, but
the advantage of KISS is that most APRS client applications already
support it.