[aprssig] Is floating point telemetry allowed in APRS?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 28 11:58:25 EDT 2013

Actually, the original APRSdos can take decimals, but again, the limit is
3 FIXED bytes.  So you can have 0.1 up to 9.9, but beyond 10, you cannot
use a decimal because it would make the field 4 bytes wide and violate the
spec.  Same goes for SPEED field.

Im not sure if the spec is that clear or not.  Don't have time to dig.
But the 3 bytes *is* the spec requirement, any positive number you can
stuff into 3 bytes should be OK.   I even allow up to 999 which is getting
close to 10 bit accuracy..

Bob, WB4APR