[aprssig] Android can do analog APRS on 144.39

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 12:07:08 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:
> Hey Herb,
>
> * Herb Gerhardt <hgerhardt at wavecable.com> [2013-03-28 00:25]:
>> What I want is a Bluetooth connected to my TH-D72A that is able to
>> communicate with my Samsung 5 Player or other Android device in order to
>> plot the stations heard on the TH-D72A on a map on the Android device.
>
> The major challenge here is probably to find a device that implements
> USB host mode to interact with the D72A (or is there another way to
> access its data port than USB?), and to forward it over Bluetooth.
>
> Once that is accomplished, the D72A needs to be configured to output
> NMEA/PKWDWPL data over its serial port, and APRSdroid will happily parse
> and display it on the map.

One of us is missing something, because I don't think the two
paragraphs above are dependent. The D72 has two data ports:
- The USB device port enumerates as a serial port and offers memory
programming, CAT, and raw TNC access.
- The 2.5mm COM port offers NMEA GPS input and waypoint output.

You could connect your Bluetooth serial adapter to the 2.5mm COM port
and listen to NMEA waypoint output, just as you do with the D710.

> * Kenwood D7x0 GPS port (sends out NMEA and displays stations on the map, experimental)

Is this not possible? Maybe I misunderstood something.

Tom KD7LXL