[aprssig] Is floating point telemetry allowed in APRS?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Mar 27 16:46:32 EDT 2013

His position packet says:

WA3NOA-RI>APRX21,qAR,WA3NOA-5:!4000.51NR07537.36W& WA3NOA Rx-only iGate
and Digi

According to http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt APRX21 is "APRXxx
<39 for OH2MQK's RX-igate", so that'd be the software that is likely
generating the out-of-spec packets.

Note also that the javAPRSSrvr t/t (type telemetry) filter will not pass
any out-of-spec telemetry packets like these with floating point values
or any that exceed 255.

Chapter 4 of aprs101.pdf describes the AX.25 Destination Address field.
RXTLM-2 is not an application identifier (doesn't start with AP), nor
anything else specifically described, so it's an alternate network
identifier.  An SSID on the Destination Address, the -2 in this example,
is an alternate way of specifying WIDE2-2 as the path, but I'm not sure
if any digipeaters actually implement this.