[aprssig] APRS-B?

John Wiseman john.wiseman at cantab.net
Mon Jun 24 17:31:06 EDT 2013

I posted a message about 6 months ago about experiments with the RFM22B (100
mW) and RFM23BP (1 Watt modules). I also obtained a couple of the RFM12B
(500 mw) units, but I found the interface much more difficult, and would
recommend the 22/23 modules. I made a board for the Raspberry PI, and it
seemed to work pretty well. and at $25 seems reasonable, but for a simple
dig function the code could probalby run on the PIC.

As I do a lot of sailing in the summer, the project has been put on hold
till the Autumn, but if anyone is interested in preogressing the ideas, I
can publish the board design and code.

To save you trawling throught the archive, I'vr repeated the message below.

73, John G8BPQ

A while ago (22 September) Bob posted a message about the RFM22 modules. I
was working on a TNC for the Raspberry PI at the time, so decided to try
building a TNC round these modules. There is a photo of the result here

 <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/RMF22BTNC.png>
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/RMF22BTNC.png

The board is the same size as the PI (about the same as a credit card). This
one is fitted with the RFM22B module, with 100 mW output, but the board will
also take the 1 Watt RFM23BP. Although designed to work with the PI, it also
has a header for a serial to USB converter, so it can be used as a
standalone KISS TNC.

To test as a tracker I lashed up a board to connect the Adafruit Ultimate
GPS Breakout board. Photo here:

 <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/S1360001.jpg>
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/S1360001.jpg

I've now got them running, and just completed my first tests. On the first
trial with the 100mW version I achieved a range of just under a mile, with a

5/8 over 5/8 70cms whip on the car, and a far from ideal Marine Band whip at
base (The 70 cms colinear I bought for the test turned out to have an
infinite SWR!).

Although very much a work in progress, I thought I'd share results so far -
if anyone else is working with these modules I'd be interested to hear from
them.

BTW, the GPS module is pretty neat as well - it is about an inch square, and
includes a data logger -  <https://www.adafruit.com/products/746>

  _____