[aprssig] APRS-B? (FSK data?)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 24 14:21:39 EDT 2013

The thing I still need clarified about this RF chip:

1) sure, it needs SPI serial data handshaking and control to setup the
chip and all the parameters, but I am still confused about the FSK/DATA
pin.

2) After all the configuration is set by the external CPU or PIC chip and
configured for FIFO OFF, then does this single  FSK/DATA pin act like a
simple SERIAL DATA TX/RX line?  (meaning it could be directly connected to
the serial RXD and TXD l ines of a TNC and it would ack llike a serial
connection) or does the data still have to be clocked into and out of the
8 bit buffer using the SPI handshaking for every byte?

I was assuming the external controls via SPI were only for set up and
control, but that the FSK/DATA pin then became a transparent wireless link
to the other end of the link?

I have tried downloading spec sheets but all the links are dead or blocked
for me...

Bob, WB4APR