[aprssig] APRS for IPad

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue Jun 18 17:42:16 EDT 2013

On Jun 14, 2013, at 9:16 PM, Shawn Stoddard <stoddard at pobox.com> wrote:

> I think downloading Google map tiles is against the terms of service. OSM support is a good option, at least legally.

The iOS map APIs allow "overlays" to be created that are on top of the map area.  They can be opaque or any level of translucency.  It is thus possible to take any mapping data and use it on iOS as data you carry with you, with no requirement for "internet" services.  I am trying to re-engage with my APRSNOW app development.  I have a lot of things updated/fixed and new features regarding objects that I'd like to get out the door.  But, I'm also in possession of a redpark cable, and trying to initiate discussion with them to get a version of that cable for my app to be able to use.  That  would provide access to a TNC and radio.  What is important to me, is to not have to run windows.  That has been the single largest time waster in my life of all the technologies I've used.  I'd rather to nothing, than fight with windows any longer.  After having used a mac for more than 5 years now, I'm at the point where I want a working device.  I get that with Apple products, and the Apple Care support allows me to take it to the store and get it fixed within 2-3 days at most, if something happens to my devices.   That has worked flawlessly for me, and I've not wasted any of my time trying to make my Mac/iOS devices work.  The extra monies that you pay for Apple products are what support this capacity of the company.   They lock things down and limit your choices to the things that they feel they can adequately support to give you a great experience.  If you need something more than they can provide, then there are, of course many paths available without using Apple products.  Overall though, I just don't have that issue myself.  It's great to get real work done with my devices, and not have to fight with them.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW