[aprssig] APRS for IPad

Phil Lapsley phil_aprssig at lapsley.org
Wed Jun 12 22:49:35 EDT 2013

On Jun 13, 2013, at 7:51 AM , Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> 2)   Further, only one iOS APRS app (PocketPacket) has any provision at all to be used with a radio/TNC.    This one uses the mic-in/headphones-out jack with a software TNC apparently similar to AGWpe or the UZ7HO sound modem. Unfortunately, the user feedback on this software TNC has not been very positive.

I played around with PocketPacket quite a bit in February 2011.  The big stumbling block is that the iPhone wants mic-level input and most radio audio outputs are line level, so you need to build an attenuating cable.  Once I did this, I found it to work really well.  (It can be made to work just using a direct \connection between radio and iPhone but I found with my Kenwood TH-F6A that the volume control was then incredibly finicky and had to be set just right to get it to decode anything.)  The author, SW1OAN, was very responsive in fixing bugs I reported to him.

73, Phil N6TCT