[aprssig] APRS Messenger Android released

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed Jun 12 03:55:23 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Chris Moulding
<chrism at crosscountrywireless.net> wrote:
> I've just uploaded a new APRS Android app to Google Play.
>
> This is an APRS app for Android phones and tablets to send APRS position
> beacons and messages from an Android phone or tablet over a 3G or Wi-Fi link
> to the APRS-IS internet system. It can also link by Bluetooth to the new
> Bluetooth version of the APRS TNC Digi Tracker.
>
> I've designed it to be simple to use as it only needs the user to enter a
> callsign and APRS passcode to get started. The APRS beacon rate is fixed at
> 3 minutes and the message decay is set at 31 seconds so that it can send
> messages to VHF APRS stations via a two way APRS igate.

Cool, new Android ham developers is always good.

The feature set of the app seems like a subset of the open source
aprsdroid application (https://github.com/ge0rg/aprsdroid). It can
also talk to KISS bluetooth TNCs.

Have you considered contributing improvements in the aprsdroid project
instead of starting up a new project from scratch? That might do more
good in the long term, as developer resources are slightly scarce.

- Hessu, OH7LZB