[aprssig] Balloon Launch Thursday maybe 10 AM[ SUCCESS!]

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 18 21:01:03 EDT 2013

Congratulations on a successful flight!  I managed to watch the action
via APRS from about 6500 feet to landing.  Thanks for the show and I
hope their cubeSat test worked, even with the heat.

PS.  You can see the RF and APRS-IS coverage maps of the flight at
http://tinyurl.com/ljflrre  You may have to zoom in to see the detail of
the higher zoom maps.

The files with -RF- near the end are non-dupe-suppressed packets
provided by APRSISCE/32 IGates around the country.  They show just how
far your packets were going without the duplicate suppression (first in
wins) of the APRS-IS.  Those green hops at the end of the red direct
lines are the unnecessary digipeats from a station flying at altitude.
Altitude sensitive, path-adjusting trackers are really sweet for this
kind of work.  You normally won't see the digipeats on the APRS-IS
because it's quite likely that an IGate somewhere actually copied the
balloon directly.

Those straight lines with no packets must have been heart-stopping...